Messages of sympathy continue to pour in on the family of the late Wilbur Fletcher Lewis, bank president, builder, and for many years prominent in civic and fraternal affairs of Somerville, who passed away on Mar. 6.
A native and life-long resident of Somerville, he had served in the board of aldermen, the house of representatives and on the board of public welfare of his native city. He was in the building business for many years and had built apartment houses and many dwelling houses in Somerville, Arlington, and other sections of Greater Boston.
The Winter Hill Federal Savings and Loan Association, of which he had been president for the past four years and a director, since 1919, adopted in Memoriam, the following resolutions which have been sent to the family.
“Our Heavenly Father, in His Divine Providence, has removed from our midst, Wilbur F. Lewis, president of the Winter Hill Federal Savings and Loan Association for the past four years and a director since 1919.
“He was a man of exceptional ability and determination, a man with good sound judgement, ready and willing at all times to do his utmost for the benefit of this institution.
“He constributed much to the success of our association and his passing is a great loss to the directors, employees and all others who knew him.
“The deep sympathy of the directors is extended to the family of our departed friend.
“Therefore, Be it Resolved, that this Memorial, be spread to his family.”
He was born in Somerville, 68 years ago, the son of the late Stephen H. and Laura B. (Wright) Lewis. He was a graduate of the Somerville High school and Berkley Preparatory School. He served in the Somerville board of alderman in 1916, 1917, 1918, and 1919, in the house of representatives in 1920, 1921, 1922, 1923 and 1924.
After leaving school he entered the building business with his father, as S. H. Lewis & Son, and when his father began to fail in health, Wilbur, took over, for 30 years conducted the business. He built the Powder House Apartments at 119 College ave., the home in which he resided at 51 Foskett Street, and many other dwelling houses in West Somerville and Arlington. He built over 100 houses.
He was noted for his kindness and loyalty to his family and relatives. He was well known in the Davis sq. section, where he was numbered among the “old-timers” and had a wide circle of friends.
The late Mr. Lewis had been a member of the Somerville Lodge of Elks for over 35 years; a lieutenant in the Ancient & Honorable Artillery Co.; Somerville Lodge of Masons, Massachusetts Consistory; Aleppo Temple Mystic Shrine; charter member of the Kiwanis Club of Somerville; Fraternal Order of the Eastern Star; Somerville Chamber of Commerce, College Avenue Methodist church, and a corporiate member of the Fernald School at Waltham.
He leaves his wife, Mrs. Etta E. (Dixon) Lewis, whom he married in 1913; a son, Wilbur Franklin Lewis, and three grandchildren.
Largely attended services were held in the College Avenue Church. Rev. Dr. Guy H. Wayne officiated. Burial was in Mt. Auburn Cemetery, Cambridge.