A woman named Emeline Hunt is my 4th great grandmother on my maternal side. She was the husband of Timothy Grim Dixon (b. 4 Jul 1792 in Danbury, CT; d. 28 Feb 1858 in Plymouth, MA). Here is what I know about her:
- She was apparently born in Williamsburg, Massachusetts around 1809.
- She married Timothy Grim Dixon on 2 July 1827 in Whittingham, Vermont.
- In 1850 she was living in Thompson, Connecticut.
- From 1860 to her death she lived in Plymouth, Massachusetts.
- She died 6 May 1893 and is buried in the Chiltonville Congregational Church Cemetery in Plymouth. (Find-a-Grave)
Timothy and Emeline had the following children:
- Alanson Dixon (1831 – )
- Comfort H Dixon (1832 – ) My 3rd great grandfather
- Graham Dixon (1833 – )
- Edwin Dixon (1836 – )
- Walter S Dixon (1838 – )
- Mary Jane Dixon (1839 – 1922)
- Lyman F Dixon (1842 – )
- Adeline Dixon (1844 – )
- Dixon (1845 – )
- Elizabeth Dixon (1846 – )
Who were her parents? Why did they get married in Vermont? What is her actual birthdate?
Was she born in May 1809 in Westhampton, Massachusetts to Elihu C Hunt and Sinai Hunt? (Source: Massachusetts, Town and Vital Records, 1620-1988)
Updates (10/15/2014): According to the 1860 United States Census, Emeline was a seamstress and was born in New Hampshire! The census lists here age at 51, confirming her birth around 1809.
According to her son Alanson Dixon’s death record, his mother was indeed Emeline Hunt, and that the “Birthplace of Mother” was Stow Mass. HOWEVER, I just searched “The Vital Records of Stow, Massachusetts through 1850” and found no Emeline Hunt, and almost no Hunts at all. ::sigh::